+1 on all of this below.

I'm all for frequent releases.  Big features move to branches and the author is
required to keep it up against whatever the current trunk is.

And by forcing ourselves to keep features/improvements into trunk rather than
into the currently active branch, we will incentivize ourselves to push forward
new releases to get the goodies ;)

JG