Very nice experiment, Akash.  Keep getting your hands dirty and digging!  :)

I think your results might change if you bump the test up to 1000 threads or
so.  100 threads can still perform okay when there's a global lock but the
contention at 1000 threads will kill you and that's when CSLM should do much
better.  (1000 handler threads is approx. what I run with on RS in prod).
Though I am a bit surprised that at 100 threads the TreeMap was significantly
faster.  Your inconsistent results are a bit odd, you might try an order of
magnitude more operations per thread.  You might also gather some statistics
about tree size and per operation latency.

I've done some isolated CSLM benchmarks in the past and have never been able to
reproduce any of the slowness people suggest.  I recall trying some
impractically large MemStores and everything still being quite fast.

Over in Cassandra, I believe they have a two-level CSLM with the first map key
being the row and then the columns for each row in their own CSLM.  I've been
told this is somewhat of a pain point for them.  And keep in mind they have one
shard/region per node and we generally have several smaller MemStores on each
node (tens to thousands).  Not sure we would want to try that.  There could be
some interesting optimizations if you had very specific issues, like if you had
a ton of reads to MemStore and not many writes you could keep some kind of
mirrored hashmap.

And for writes, the WAL is definitely the latency bottleneck.  But if you are
doing lots of small operations, so your WALEdits are not large, and with some
of the HLog batching features going in to trunk, you end up with hundreds of
requests per HLog sync.  And although the syncs are higher latency, with
batching you end up getting high throughput.  And the bottleneck shifts.

Each sync will take approx. 1-5ms, so let's say 250 requests per HLog sync
batch, 4ms per sync, so 62.5k req/sec.  (62.5k * 100 bytes/req = 600K/sec, very
reasonable).  If you're mixing in reads as well (or if you're doing increments
which do a read and write), then this adds to the CPU usage and contention
without adding to HLog throughput.

All of a sudden the bottleneck becomes CPU/contention and not HLog latency or
throughput.  Highly concurrent increments/counters with a largely in-memory
dataset can easily be CPU bottlenecked.

For one specific application Dhruba and I worked on, we made some good
improvements in CPU efficiency by reducing the number of operations and
increasing efficiency on the CSLM.  Doing things like always taking a tailMap
and working from that instead of starting at the root node, using an iterator()
and taking advantage of the available remove() semantics, or simply just
mutating things that are normally immutable :)  Unfortunately many of these
optimizations were semi-horrid hacks and introduced things like
ModifiableKeyValues, so they all haven't made their way to apache.

In the end, after our optimizations, the real world workload Dhruba and I were
working with was not all in-memory so the bottleneck in production became the
random reads (so increasing the block cache hit ratio is the focus) rather than
CPU contention or HLog throughput.

JG