While I can understand the desire to want to add things, I do think it makes things harder for users to reliably write code against versions of HBase which (by their view) should be completely compatible with one another.

Take this extremely hypothetical situation: I'm new to HBase and start writing some code against HBase 1.0.1 which was just deployed at my $job. I don't _know_ what APIs are new, I just know what exists and treat that as acceptable for me to be using. Meanwhile in production, some other people find a bug with HBase 1.0.1 and roll back to 1.0.0 which they had been previously using. My reaction would be "of course my code should work with HBase 1.0.0, I only used the public API" when in fact this is not true.

Personally, I think it's a little bold to say semver is even in use if this principal isn't being followed as it doesn't follow at all with my understanding on the guarantees defined by semver for bug-fix releases.

That being said, if the intent *is* to allow ourselves to make these sorts of changes, I just think some sort of disclaimer should be present:

- HBase uses Semantic Versioning for its release versioning
+ HBase uses Semantic Versioning for its release versioning with a caveat that methods and members might be added in newer bug-fix releases that were not present in the previous bug-fix release.

Andrew Purtell wrote:
[Subject changed]