On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Enis Söztutar <e...@apache.org> wrote:

> >  - a resolution to the RegionScanner interface change, if deemed
> necessary
> >

> Sorry, I confused RegionScanner with ResultScanner. RegionScanner is not a
> Public class, only for co-processors. I think we do not need a fix here.
>
> On a totally unrelated note, I was going over the ThrottlingException for
> HBASE-13661, and noticed that it extends DoNotRetryIOException. Looking at
> the unit tests as well, it means that if the throttle is exceeded, it
> bubbles up to the client level as a RetriedExhaustedException, and the
> application side has to do explicit handling because of this. I was
> intuitively expecting the hbase-client level to handle the throttling
> instead of raising this as an application-level exception. Is this the
> expected behavior? The exception contains enough details on the throttling
> that it seems it can do the wait, but seems strange to delegate that to the
> application instead of handling it at the retry layer. Did we chose this
> because of fast fail semantics? Sorry I missed the reviews.
>
> This semantics is important for the RC I think, since it is the first time
> we are introducing it. Just wanted to confirm that it is an explicit
> decision.

I'd like to raise the visibility of this question as its answer may impact
the timeliness of the next RC. From the ThrottlingException class comment,
I see

 * TODO: At some point this will be handled on the client side to prevent
 * operation to go on the server if the waitInterval is grater than the one
got
 * as result of this exception.

Please advise.

Thanks,