Sean,

Backup/Restore can fail due to various reasons: network outage (cluster
wide), various time-outs in HBase and HDFS layer, M/R failure due to "HDFS
exceeded quota", user error (manual deletion of data) and so on so on. That
is impossible to enumerate all possible types of failures in a distributed
system - that is not our goal/task.

We focus completely on backup system table consistency in a presence of any
type of failure. That is what I call "tolerance to failures".

On a failure:

BACKUP. All backup system information (prior to backup) will be restored
and all temporary data, related to a failed session, in HDFS will be deleted
RESTORE. We do not care about system data, because restore does not change
it. Temporary data in HDFS will be cleaned up and table will be in a state
back to where it was before operation started.

This is what user should expect in case of a failure.

-Vlad

-Vlad