Stabilizing the branch for 2.0 should take at least that long I would expect.

I think we can cut a branch now. Seems reasonable. Start work on stabilizing
what's there. Wrap up work or land new things in the new master aka 3.0 and
bring into branch 2.0 as reasonable under supervision of the co RMs. No time
like the present to begin.