From: Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:49 AM
To: dev
Subject: [DISCUSS] hbase-spark module in branch-1 and branch-2

Hi folks!

With 2.0 releases coming up, I'd like to revive our prior discussion
on the readiness of the hbase-spark module for downstream users.

We've had a ticket for tracking the milestones set up for inclusion in
branch-1 releases for about 1.5 years:

We still haven't gotten all of the blocker issues completed, AFAIK.

Is anyone interested in volunteering to knock the rest of these out?

If they aren't, shall we plan to leave hbase-spark in master and
revert it from branch-2 once it forks for the HBase 2.0 release line?

This feature isn't a blocker for 2.0; just as we've been planning to
add the hbase-spark module to some 1.y release we can also include it
in a 2.1+ release.

This does appear to be a feature our downstream users could benefit
from, so I'd hate to continue the current situation where no official
releases include it. This is especially true now that we're looking at
ways to handle changes between Spark 1.6 and Spark 2.0 in HBASE-16179.

-
busbey