Stack and others..
We wont do any OOM or FullGC issues.   Because globally at RS level we
will track both the data size (of all the memstores) and the heap
size.  The decision there accounts both. In fact in case of normal on
heap memstores, the accounting is like the old way of heap size based.

At region level (and at Segments level)  we track data size only.  The
decisions are based on data size.

So in the past region flush size of 128 MB means we will flush when
the heap size of that region crosses 128 MB.   But now it is data size
alone.   What I feel is that is more inclined to a normal user
thinking.  He say flush size of 128 MB and then the thinking can be
128 MB of data.

The background of this change is the off heap memstores where we need
separate tracking of both data and heap overhead sizes.   But at
region level this behave change was done thinking that is more user
oriented

I agree with Yu that it is a surprising behave change. Ya if not tuned
accordingly one might see more blocked writes. Because the per region
flushes are more delayed now and so chances of reaching the global
memstore upper barrier chances are more.  And then we will block
writes and force flushes.   (But off heap memstores will do better job
here).  But this would NOT cause any OOME or FullGC.

I guess we should have reduced the 128 MB default flush size then?  I
asked this Q in that jira and then we did not discuss further.

I hope I explained the background and the change and the impacts.  Thanks.

-Anoop-