On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:54 AM, Chia-Ping Tsai <chia7...@apache.org> wrote:

> How about introducing an new enum "CellType" which is subset of
> KeyValue#Type? It will be exposed as IA.Public to end user for helping
> build the custom cell (via CellBuilder). The types which "CellType" should
> have are shown below.
> 1) Put
> 3) DeleteFamilyVersion
> 4) DeleteColumn
> 5) DeleteFamily
> Hence, the CellBuilder#setType(byte) will be replaced by
> CellBuilder#setType(CellType). Our internal use still reference to
> KeyValue#Type.

There is a 'hole' in our Cell Interface; we have a getTypeByte but expose
no means of signaling what the byte stands for.

You could add to CellBuilder methods to do setPutType, setDeleteType, etc.,
which would work for build time allowing you could keep Type byte private.
This would seem to be enough for your case Chia-Ping?

We'd still be stuck at read time when all we had was Cell#getTypeByte
returning a byte.

We could add a CellType with the KV#Type static utility codeToType but
would be sweet if we could do without having to explain the byte to users.