The second HBase 1.4.0​ release candidate (RC1) is available for download
at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.4.0RC1/ and Maven
artifacts are available in the temporary repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1186/ .

The git tag corresponding to the candidate is '1.4.0RC1' (10b9b9fae6).

A detailed source and binary compatibility report for this release is
available for your review at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.4.0RC1/hbase-1.3.1-1.4.0RC1_compatibility_report.html
​. All reported compatibility issues should comply with policy but please
review them carefully.

A list of the 660 issues resolved in this release can be found at
https://s.apache.org/OErT .

The changes since RC0 are:

    * [HBASE-19180] - Remove unused imports from AlwaysPasses
    * [HBASE-19373] - Fix Checkstyle error in hbase-annotations
    * [HBASE-19435] - Reopen Files for ClosedChannelException in BucketCache
    * [HBASE-19465] - Required httpcore and httpclient jars not included in
binary distribution
    * [HBASE-19467] - rsgroups shell commands don't properly display
elapsed time

Please try out the candidate and vote +1/0/-1.

This vote will be open for at least 72 hours. Unless objection I will try
to close it ​Monday December 18, 2017 if we have sufficient votes.

Prior to making this announcement I made the following preflight checks to
1.4.0RC0 (3d571827cb):

    RAT check passes (7u80)
    Unit test suite passes (8u131)
    LTT load 1M rows with 100% verification and 20% updates (8u131)
    PE randomWrite, randomRead, scanRange100 (8u131)
    100M rows ITBLL (8u131)

and the following preflight checks to 1.4.0RC1 (10b9b9fae6):

    RAT check passes (7u80)
    Unit test suite passes (8u131)

Between now and when I want to close the vote I'll write up human readable
release notes for the release announcement as promised.

I also have agreed to run a scale ITBLL test, a performance comparison with
1.2 using YCSB, a  performance comparison with 1.2 using PE, and an
analysis of code and allocation hot spot changes from 1.2, all of which I
will publish when available and factor in to my vote.

Andrew