bq. with at most N distinct RegionServers compacting at a given time

If per table balancing is not on, the regions for the underlying table may
not be evenly distributed across the cluster.
In that case, how would the tool which servers to perform compaction ?

I think you can log a JIRA for upstreaming this tool.

Thanks