Over in HBASE-15317 ("document release announcement template
") I had proposed a brief description of our project that sought to
update things to avoid talking about other projects.

at the time (a little over two years ago), stack mentioned that he
liked the phrasing and maybe we should use it in more places.

Here's how we currently summarize ourselves within the ASF (e.g. on
board reports):

---
HBase is a distributed column-oriented database built on top of Hadoop
Common and Hadoop HDFS.
---

Here's how we've been summarizing ourselves in release ANNOUNCE emails
for a little over two years:

---
Apache HBase is an open-source, distributed, versioned, non-relational
database. Apache HBase gives you low latency random access to billions of
rows with millions of columns atop non-specialized hardware. To learn more
about HBase, see https://hbase.apache.org/.
---

It's a simplification of how we describe ourselves on our website's
landing page:

---
Apache HBase™ is the Hadoop database, a distributed, scalable, big data store.

Use Apache HBase™ when you need random, realtime read/write access to
your Big Data. This project's goal is the hosting of very large tables
-- billions of rows X millions of columns -- atop clusters of
commodity hardware. Apache HBase is an open-source, distributed,
versioned, non-relational database modeled after Google's Bigtable: A
Distributed Storage System for Structured Data by Chang et al. Just as
Bigtable leverages the distributed data storage provided by the Google
File System, Apache HBase provides Bigtable-like capabilities on top
of Hadoop and HDFS.
---

What do folks think? Worth changing how we present ourselves to the
board? Worth simplifying our landing page (presumably moving the
bigtable stuff to something like a project history or background
information section)?