+1 ditto -- this one is better to revert and ask forgiveness on from users, IMO.

On 4/3/18 3:27 PM, Apekshit Sharma wrote:
+1 on going back to old behavior, i.e. returning values, in branch-1 and
2.0 release.

bq. Open question: should we also revert this change in branch-1.4, even though
it means the shell will behave very differently between maintenance
releases?
Earlier, i was inclining towards reverting the behavior in next 1.4.x too,
but not so much now. Probably a sooner 1.5 is better idea?