FYI, the mailing list strips images.

There is only one BlockCache per RS. Not sure if that answers your Q1 in entirety though.

Q2. The "Block" in "BlockCache" are the blocks that make up the HBase HFiles in HDFS. Data in the Memstore does not yet exist in HFiles on HDFS. Additionally, Memstore is already in memory; no need to have a different cache to accomplish the same thing :)