bq. Is it possible to put some hacks into HBCK2 to work around
the compatibility to fix the current state

There are some classes around Replication which were introduced in 2.1.0+
so I don't think we could easily solve it for 2.0.
For 2.1.1 the missing method is Hbck#scheduleServerCrashProcedure, probably
that could be solved with some workarounds or using reflection.

bq. focus more on automation to let us know the next time we inevitably
break it again? ;)

Sure! Based on this I think it should be a strong goal. We can set up
nightly builds for hbase-operator-tools repo that builds against the latest
development branches as well as checking compatibility with released
versions.

bq. what would folks think about going with an hbck2 alpha release?
I'm fine with an alpha release but since "HBCK2 should continuously evolve"
it might be better to always use the latest codebase whenever you need to
use the tool.