We have historically linked to the Jira Version page because it provides a
starting point on issue navigation that we don't get elsewhere. Plenty of
interactions with our issue tracker require a login. Why is that threshold
not acceptable here? I think we should just note that a login with
low-friction signup is required. Though I guess we will need to validate
that it's still straightforward to create a jira account.

The changelog and release notes for the release are both available on
downloads.a.o if we want to link to something available without a login
rather than just mentioning them. If we're going to change what we'd link
to I'd rather one of those than jira at all.