We should not ship a netty with known CVEs in hbase-thirdparty. Likewise
for the other components shipped in hbase-thirdparty. As with all things
this is a guideline, not a rule, because each situation is different and
people do not always share the same opinion.

I am of the opinion that moderate to high scoring CVEs in a dependency --
and it doesn't matter if direct, transitive, or shaded -- is going to be a
problem for many users or potential users simply if they exist in our bill
of materials. At my employer we need to juggle the "cleanliness" of our
software bill of materials among priorities and I do not think we are
exceptional in any way. We do it in a fork but I have been meaning to do a
pass over the public open source project's dependency set, if this would
have some value for the project (which I believe there is).

I can do a thirdparty release now if everyone else is busy.

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 10:50 AM Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudrea...@apache.org>
wrote:

> I think we explicitly don't want our hbase-thirdparty netty version to be
> locked to the one for transitive dependencies. That's sort of why we have
> it in thirdparty/shaded at all, right?
>
> I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-28291 to update
> pom.xml in hbase-thirdparty. I will handle that. We will need to do an
> hbase-thirdparty release, which I'm not sure I'll have time for given I'm
> already behind on the 2.6.0 release
>
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 11:58 AM Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > We should do that bump to hbase-thirdparty and spin another release to
> > keep our house in order. It isn’t urgent but would be good to address
> this
> > in the normal release cadence. That has been about once per fiscal
> quarter
> > recently.  It’s weird to have netty dependency versions diverging.
> >
> > I will make a note as RM to look at hbase-thirdparty versions with
> respect
> > to the base POM and known security issues, using snyk probably, and
> update
> > it ahead of 2.5.8. As well as direct dependencies in the base POM.
> > Unfortunately I can’t promise to do anything about transitive issues
> > imported from something that impacts operational compatibility. Those
> must
> > be weighed case by case.
> >
> > > On Jan 4, 2024, at 8:31 AM, Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudrea...@apache.org
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > It looks like that CVE only affects io.netty:netty-codec-http2. Since
> > our
> > > hbase-shaded-netty depends on netty-all, that module is included.
> > However,
> > > I don't think we use anything from netty-codec-http2. So I don't think
> > the
> > > CVE is a risk for this usage, unless you are building an app using the
> > > org.apache.hbase.thirdparty.io.netty classes. This would not be
> advised.
> > >
> > > That said, we could try to bump hbase-thirdparty to 4.1.100+ and
> include
> > > that in the upcoming 2.6.0 or 2.5.8 when that happens. If the CVE were
> > > critical we could rush out another minor release, but I don't think
> it's
> > > necessary here? I also wonder if we should update hbase-shaded-netty to
> > > only pull in the netty modules we actually use.

> https://github.com/netty/netty/security/advisories/GHSA-xpw8-rcwv-8f8p
> > and
> > vector
> > like

> > bbeaudrea...@apache.org

> > the
> > zookeeper
> > protocol)

> is
> > time
> pulled
> as

> > 7639345

> [...]

Andrew

Unrest, ignorance distilled, nihilistic imbeciles -
    It's what we’ve earned
Welcome, apocalypse, what’s taken you so long?
Bring us the fitting end that we’ve been counting on
   - A23, Welcome, Apocalypse