This is a tangent:

Here is an alternative user story that comes from a real work situation.

In order to use Apache JMeter and Apache ActiveMQ as part of our CI system,
we have put the binary zip of theses projects into our private Artifactory
repository. This let's us use Ivy to automatically download these to each
build machine. Our Ant targets can then install and run JMeter and
ActiveMQ, which is something we cannot do by just getting the jars from
Maven Central.

So, in general but perhaps not in the case of this project, deploying bin
zips/tars to Maven Central would be nice.

Gary