On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 11:10 +0100, sebb wrote:
> The NTLM code uses the charset UnicodeLittleUnmarked a lot.
>
> The official page:
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html
>
> says they are the same, but different APIs use a different canonical name.
>
> I assume the methods will therefore take either.
>
> Might be worth changing to the slightly shorter - but more obviously
> 16 bit - name?
>
> In any case, extracting as a constant and documenting the choice would
> be a good idea.
> Especially since the code also uses US-ASCII or ASCII sometimes (why?)

Sebastian,

I would like to propose to move to Java 1.6 at some point (rather sooner
than later). One of the reasons to make this move is to be able to use
Charset variant of String#getBytes() method and to clean up the use of
various charsets throughout the code base, not just NTLM code.

Maintaining Java 1.5 compatibility has been getting increasingly
difficult and increasingly pointless. The question is whether this is
too later for 4.3 or not.

Oleg