I am in favour of using a single repository and branches (with a clean
convention). Having a repo per version IMHO sends the wrong message,
namely that the new version is completely different.

Again IMHO, we should strive to improve our backwards compatibility
with version 6.x (with regard to 5.x). I even believe that commonly
used APIs in 5.x would be mostly backwards compatible with 4.x if the
Java packages had not been renamed. Please feel free to correct me if
that assumption is wrong.

Regards
Julian