Am 2017-05-21 um 11:42 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
On Sun, 2017-05-21 at 08:52 +0000, Apache Wiki wrote:
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on
"Httpcomponents Wiki" for change notification.

The "GitGuidelines" page has been changed by MichaelOsipov:
https://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/GitGuidelines?action=diff&rev1
=7&rev2=8

Comment:
RM's right to rewrite

  =  Side Notes =

-  1. Never rewrite (rebase) history on master or any other long-
lived branch because you will break others
+  1. Never rewrite (rebase) history on master or any other long-
lived branch because you will break others. Only the release manager
is entitled to clean up history right before a release if it is
absolutely necessary

Hi Michael,

If the main motivating factor for not rewriting commits policy is to
minimize conflicts with work of casual contributors it would be better
to let the RM rewrite the very tip of a release branch on ongoing basis
instead of having the commit history mutate 3 to 6 months back in time
every time a release is cut.

What is a timeframe you consider rewriting if necessary? A week? Three days? The shorter the timeframe the less likely it is that we will piss of users because of broken forks.

Just give me number and I will change it.

Michael