Folks

I just committed a large chunk of code with the last big feature I had
in mind for the HttpCore 5.0 release. The server side transports (both
classic and async) now provide filter support that can be used to
implement cross-cutting aspects for all incoming requests such the
expect-continue handshake or user authentication and authorization.

https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/blob/master/httpcore5-tes
ting/src/test/java/org/apache/hc/core5/testing/classic/ClassicAuthentic
ationTest.java
https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/blob/master/httpcore5-tes
ting/src/test/java/org/apache/hc/core5/testing/nio/Http1AuthenticationT
est.java

Now I would like to shift the focus of development efforts from adding
new features and making disruptive API changes to code stabilization,
API polish and test coverage improvement. I

_IMPORTANT_: if you would like to make some big API changes: move code
around, rename packages and classes, introduce new naming conventions,
propose new features with a large API footprint _NOW_ would be a good
time to do so.

@Gary

You wanted to discuss naming conventions some while ago, did not you?

It is probably also the right time to discuss whether or not we should
consider building a full featured HTTP server with statement management
(server side cookies), authentication (server side auth schemes),
pluggable user registries, and all those things that used to be out of
project scope.

I would like to cut another, likely last, ALPHA release soon and
propose moving to the BETA phase.

Oleg