Folks

Presently NTLM & SPNEGO are stated as supported authentication schemes,
by the project which is, quite frankly, not the case. There are partial
implementations in various state of decay contributed some while ago by
contributors long gone with no one on the project both capable and
willing to maintain that code and deal with user reported issues.

I think we should drop the pretense and start dealing with the problem.
If we cannot adequately support those features we should consider
deprecating and eventually removing them entirely.

As the first step I would like to propose NTLM & SPNEGO be made an opt-
in feature as of version 5.3. Users would have to explicitly enable
NTLM & SPNEGO support to make HttpClient engage in an NTLM or SPNEGO
handshake.

This may encourage people vested in NTLM and SPNEGO come forth and help
support those features.

Also, the deprecation or removal of NTLM would unable us to drop
connection state tracking support and greatly simplify the connection
management APIs.

Oleg