Hi, all,

We had a discussion in this PR but I am feeling that it would be good to
gather more thoughts from other devs/users as well.

https://github.com/apache/incubator-heron/pull/3029#pullrequestreview-156614156

During Twitter internal onboarding of Streamlet API, I started to consider
supporting low level Bolt and Spout in Streamlet API. I totally understand
the concerns that Neng and Jerry raised in the PR that the Streamlet API is
not pure with Bolt/Spout support because it would expose low level things.
However I am still feeling that the advantages is way more than the
disadvantages with the support. The following are my comments in the RP:

========

Here are my thoughts:

Streamlet is not really the abstraction. My feeling is that Streamlet is
good at the DAG layer but not flexible enough in the low level (operators).
I would think it is like Scala vs Java(not the same, just some idea). Scala
has the nice functional API but it is pretty useless in real life if
procedural code is not allowed/supported.

Two reasons:

   1. Migration is one major reason. There are quite some existing
   topologies written in low level API (for heron and storm). Streamlet is
   only friendly to new users, existing code such as KafkaSpout (it is spout,
   but same issue) in storm and some ML bolts has to be rewritten to take the
   readability/maintainability advantages.
   2. Bolt/Spout are more flexible. They can do a lot more than a function
   provided by Streamlet API (initialization, config, checkpoint, etc). For
   examples, the stateful processing and component configs, they are not
   supported currently by Streamlet and if we add the features, it is likely
   user has to provide extra functions as parameters and the Streamlet API
   would became more and more complicated. Streamlet API will evolve but
   supporting Bolt/Spout could give us a lot room to design a clean API.

========