Actually not so -- a spin-off project would have its own PMC and the Hive
PMC wouldn't have any say-so.  Of course, there would be some overlap of
the two PMCs.

(I'm not even sure if the PMC has governance of code, technically.  That
might belong to the committers or the development community.  Well, the PMC
does vote on release candidates so that's a kind of goverance.  But the
community is supposed to decide on major issues.)

Anyway under the Apache license, nobody needs permission from the PMC to
grab some code and use it for another purpose.

-- Lefty