By passivity do you mean backward compatibility ?
Not all API's have same level of maturity, and the audience for them
can also be different.

Public api's are supposed to be marked with the annotations under
org.apache.hadoop.hive.common.classification.InterfaceAudience as
Public, and the expectations regarding backward compatibility set
using InterfaceStability annotations.

For example, the UDF apis should be marked as @Public and @Stable.
However, api's for new functionality might be marked @unstable or
@evolving.