On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Makoto Yui <yuin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Edward,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. It's certainly an option for our
> project graduation.
> I'm discussing about it with other PPMC members of Hivemall.
>
> My concerns are
> 1) Hivemall is not only for Hive but also targets Spark and Pig as the
> runtime.
>      - It has some Spark Dataframe related features
>        http://hivemall.incubator.apache.org/userguide/spark/
> misc/topk_join.html
> 2) Project management (e.g., release process) for a subproject.
>      - artifacts better to be separated to Hive (Separation of Concerns)
>      - It seems that Apache DB subproject are distinct ones.
>        https://db.apache.org/newproject.html
>
> We are now on a very early stage in Apache incubation, planning the
> first release in early Q2.
> It might be too early to discuss but we welcome your suggestion.
>
> Thanks,
> Makoto

> > Hivemall in the incubator has a fairly impressive set of features that do
> > machine learning directly from hive.
> >
> > http://hivemall.incubator.apache.org/overview.html
> > https://github.com/myui/hivemall/wiki/Logistic-
> regression-dataset-generation
> >
> > While we can not put the cart before the horse, i can imagine that upon
> > graduation hivemall would be a natural fit to become part of hive (maybe
> as
> > a  sub project).
> >
> > I could imagine we can setup like we did for hcat where we make a subtree
> > and give commit rights to the tree eventually converting those interested
> > in other parts of hive to hive committers as well.
> >
> > In any case hivemall devs, amazing work!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Edward

Those are fair concerns. I can say this.

1) I believe this is not a large issue for us. I believe we have sub
modules that link to other things outside of hive for testing.

2) Our storage-api which lives inside hive source code is released
separately from hive

I understand that your graduation is far off, and when that happens you
will make the choice that is right for your project (toplevel, part of
hive, something else). I only wanted to say I would do my best to clear any
technical or organizational concerns you have if you decide that landing
Hive is the right course for you.