Excellent, I am glad to hear that this could be useful for you.

After discussing the proposal in the community [1] we agreed that the first
step should be to break out the metastore as a separately releasable module
inside Hive.  You can see the progress of that work at HIVE-17159[2].  With
this change Drill we be able to use the metastore without needing all of
Hive.  Once that is complete we will take up the discussion of whether and
how to make it a separate TLP.  Open source communities being what they
are, I cannot give you precise dates on when the separately releasable
module will be available.  At the current rate of progress it should be
done by the end of this year.

Regarding compatibility, we are working hard to keep the thrift interface
completely backwards compatible.  So if you develop a client against the
current Hive metastore it should just work against the standalone
metastore.  There will be small changes to metastore listeners (plugins
that can be run inside the metastore) that may require changes to user code
or recompilation of the listeners.  But even there we are trying to keep
the changes to a minimum.

Alan.

1. If you go to https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@hive.apache.org and
do an advanced search over the last 6 months for messages with a subject of
"[DISCUSS] Separating out the metastore as its own TLP” you will see all
the mails.  Sorry, I can’t figure out how to get ponymail to give me a
single link to the whole thread.
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-17159