I've started looking at what will be required to document the new
standalone metastore.  I started by reviewing the existing admin guide for
the metastore at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AdminManual+MetastoreAdmin

Much of this will need to change for the standalone metastore, as we'll
need to add in information for the standalone case, many configuration
values and tool names have changed (though the old ones still work for
backwards compatibility).  I am concerned that if I put all of the changes
in this document it will make it hard to use for people administering Hive
1 and 2, which is everyone right now and will continue to be a majority for
at least the next year.

So I propose to add a new page for Hive 3.0, and clearly edit the current
page to say it only applies to Hive 1 and 2 and put in a pointer to the
Hive 3 page.  Much of the content of that page will mirror the current one,
which is painful from a maintenance viewpoint; however, it will produce a
more usable set of documentation for our users.

Seem reasonable?  I wanted to check before proceeding as this is not how we
have usually done our documentation.

Alan.