Thanks for the quick feedbacks, Maciej and Shawn!

Maciej:
The concern about confusing users with supporting multiple datetime
patterns is a valid one. The cleanest way to introduce SQL:2016 patterns
would be to drop the existing pattern support (SimpleDateFormat in case of
Impala) and replace it with the new approach. This however, would break
backwards compatibility and would break existing user workflows that use
the old pattern. So in order to introduce the patterns from the standard
(to be in sync with RDBMS like Oracle, Postgre and so on) I see the only
way is to have both approaches next to each other. To reduce user confusion
I think we should put emphasis on the docs to have a good coverage on this
topic and clarify in which scenario which pattern is used.

Cheers,
Gabor