I do not know how it works for most of the world. But in cloudera where the
TEZ options were never popular hive-on-spark represents a solid way to get
things done for small datasets lower latency.

As for the spark adoption. You know a while ago I came up with some ways to
make hive more  spark like. One of them was a found a way to make "compile"
a hive keyword so folks could build UDFs on the fly. It was such an
uphil climb. Folks found a way to make it disabled by default for security.
Then later when things moved from CLI to beeline it was like the ONLY thing
that I found not ported. Like it was extremely frustrating.