Hi Team,

With Zoltan Haindrich, we have been brainstorming about the next steps after
the 4.0.0-alpha-1 release.

We come up with the following plan:
- Define a desired scope for the 4.0.0 release
- Release minimally quarterly - create alpha release(s) until the scope is
reached
- If the scope is reached - create a beta release
- For fixes - create a beta release
- If we are satisfied with the quality of the release then we can release the
Hive 4.0.0
- Keep up with the quarterly release cadence

Until now we collected the following items which could be part of the scope:
- Java 11 upgrade (minimally)
- Hadoop 3.3 (needed to the Java 11 upgrade)
- Full Iceberg integration (Read, Write, Delete, Update, Merge)
- Clean up the HMS API interface (deprecate old methods which are already
released, remove unreleased methods which have not been released yet,
use/create methods with Request objects as parameters instead of Context
objects)

We might want to collect information about the usage of specific modules, and
might deprecate some based on the feedback (remove them from the release or at
least mark them deprecated), so we can reduce the project complexity based on
the info. Some features which pooped up:
- HCatalog
- WebHCat
- Pig integration
- ??

We would be interested on any feedback for this plan / scope / deprecation.
Feel free to suggest any additions or removals from these lists, or even
propose an entirely different plan.
Also if you would like to take over specific tasks, feel free to grab it, and
start working on it or start discussing it.

Thanks,
Peter