Thank you, Denys. Unfortunately, I still don't see the Edit button like I
do on other projects where I have access (Hadoop, Zookeeper). I just
realized my Confluence login is actually just "cnauroth", so maybe I caused
some confusion by stating it as "cnaur...@apache.org"?

Ayush, to further clarify, yes, I am planning to backport HIVE-17317 onto
versions 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 of Dataproc's Hive distro. I've already tested
locally and confirmed that I can use hikaricp.minimumIdle to limit the
number of connections. I'd also be happy to send an upstream pull request
against branch-3.1 for the backport if the community would find that
valuable. Let me know.

When I make the Confluence edit, I'll clarify which versions have this
support.

Chris Nauroth