Hi Steve,

The way that we currently represent lateral views on the physical plan is
not great. I'm sure there are good reasons of why people went forward with
the approach of introducing specialized operators for that purpose but as
the history has shown the current representation is causing us lots of
problems in many parts of the compiler where we need to traverse the plan
DAG (rules + hooks + explain) leading to exponential visit of the plan
nodes.

If we decorrelate the plan as usual maybe we could get rid of the problems
mentioned above and the need for specialized lateral view physical
operators which I think would be a good thing in the long run.

Best,
Stamatis