Today I created https://github.com/apache/hive-test-datasets and
migrated all data dumps that were present under my personal GitHub
account to the official ASF repo. Going forward, we can all make use
of this repository to store voluminous datasets that are used by our
testing infrastructure and are not appropriate for the main Apache
Hive repository.

Best,
Stamatis

On Tue, May 5, 2026 at 5:56 PM Wechar Yu <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Glad to see this moving forward. Keeping the lightweight CI-related work in 
> the Hive repository sounds good to me.
>
> A small concern: for image-related changes, PR CI may still use the existing 
> image, so it may not fully validate the change itself. We could consider 
> using a temporarily built image for such PR when defining the CI workflow.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Wechar Yu
>
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2026 at 9:08 PM Stamatis Zampetakis <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I favor keeping CI/infra code under the main Hive repo.
>> The initiative for a separate repo stemmed from concerns raised during
>> the review HIVE-28339 but that was a while ago so the situation might
>> be different now. Based on my personal preference and what has been
>> expressed so far I will reformulate the proposal.
>>
>> Any code designated for Infra/CI can live in the main Hive repository
>> (possibly under a new module or directory). If there are no objections
>> in the following days, we can adopt this contribution model for
>> HIVE-29591, HIVE-27382, HIVE-28339 and any other related Jira.
>>
>> For datasets, especially in light of HIVE-27382 and HIVE-26830, my
>> concrete proposal is to move
>> https://github.com/zabetak/hive-test-datasets under the Apache
>> namespace. In other words, create
>> https://github.com/apache/hive-test-datasets and publish the DB dumps
>> there. Since these are large, binary, non-source files that rarely
>> change, putting them under version control doesn't make much sense.
>> Therefore, I propose publishing them as release assets and fetching
>> them from there as illustrated in [1]. If there are no objections or
>> better ideas within the next 72 hours, I will proceed with creating
>> the new repo.
>>
>> Best,
>> Stamatis
>>
>> [1] 
>> https://github.com/zabetak/hive-postgres-metastore/blob/45ce9f3c28093069f0627adf7f8d9a9ec76299ef/Dockerfile#L3
>>
>> On Tue, May 5, 2026 at 8:20 AM László Bodor <[email protected]> 
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey team!
>> >
>> > Thanks, Stamatis, for initiating this thread. I hope we can go further 
>> > this time than last time.
>> >
>> >> 1. Are there objections in creating a new Git repo under the apache/hive 
>> >> namespace?
>> >>
>> >> 2. What name would you prefer?
>> >
>> >
>> > I can answer both at the same time. I prefer maintaining infra code in the 
>> > hive repo, especially as long as it is no more than a few files.
>> > This applies to what you were referring to as hive-ci. As I mentioned on 
>> > HIVE-29591, hive ci code basically is nothing more than a Dockerfile, 
>> > considering that originally, hive-dev-box covered a way more than we 
>> > actually need. I'm ready to provide a vanilla precommit image for this 
>> > purpose.
>> >
>> > Regarding: hive-infra, hive-datasets, I don't have a strong opinion.
>> >
>> > I think hive-infra is also better kept in the hive repository. The only 
>> > thing we might want to take care of is not triggering a full pre-commit 
>> > each time infra code is pushed to the repo, because it won't test anything 
>> > (since infra code is not deployed to the GCP project in the PR scope).
>> >
>> > Regarding hive-datasets: I agree that huge raw data or dumps cannot be 
>> > part of the Hive repository, so a separate apache/hive-datasests would 
>> > suffice, we need to just mention it in our Docker README, and it's done :)
>> > https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/master/packaging/src/docker/README.md
>> >
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Laszlo Bodor
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > On Mon, 4 May 2026 at 09:32, Stamatis Zampetakis <[email protected]> 
>> > wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Hey team,
>> >>
>> >> Given the recent activity under HIVE-29590 [1], I would like to revive 
>> >> this discussion about creating a dedicated Git repository for 
>> >> ci/test/dataset related stuff. Our lack of reactivity on this topic makes 
>> >> our whole test/ci infrastructure depend on personal/user specific 
>> >> repositories. This is not aligned with the ASF way and and makes us 
>> >> depend too much on individual users/contributors leading to a single 
>> >> point of failure.
>> >>
>> >> The lack of dedicated repo blocked various useful contributions in the 
>> >> past (e.g., [2]) that became stale and eventually were closed without 
>> >> action.
>> >>
>> >> Summing up I have two questions:
>> >> 1. Are there objections in creating a new Git repo under the apache/hive 
>> >> namespace?
>> >> 2. What name would you prefer?
>> >> * https://github.com/apache/hive-datasets
>> >> * https://github.com/apache/hive-ci
>> >> * https://github.com/apache/hive-infra
>> >>
>> >> At the moment that main things that we want to put there is everything 
>> >> under HIVE-29590, HIVE-26830, and HIVE-28339.
>> >>
>> >> Best,
>> >> Stamatis
>> >>
>> >> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-29590
>> >> [2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/4qb3z3yx9ovnxbsr4b02ohz6twlkrlx9
>> >>
>> >> On 2025/10/24 12:22:12 Stamatis Zampetakis wrote:
>> >> > Thanks for starting the discussion Thomas!
>> >> >
>> >> > In fact, I would go one step further and instead of storing the
>> >> > dumps/dockerfiles in personal git repositories such as [1] to create
>> >> > an apache git repo for that purpose:
>> >> > https://github.com/apache/hive-datasets
>> >> > I know that git is not the perfect place to store large files but I
>> >> > feel that moving from a personal managed repo to a community managed
>> >> > repo is something worth doing.
>> >> > Subsequently, having also a corresponding namespace in Docker Hub
>> >> > makes sense to me.
>> >> >
>> >> > Best,
>> >> > Stamatis
>> >> >
>> >> > [1] https://github.com/zabetak/hive-postgres-metastore
>> >> >
>> >> > On Fri, Oct 24, 2025 at 12:10 PM Thomas Rebele 
>> >> > <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >> > >
>> >> > > Hi Hive community,
>> >> > >
>> >> > > I'm working on creating a docker image for a TPC-DS 30TB metastore 
>> >> > > with histogram statistics 
>> >> > > [HIVE-26830](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-26830).
>> >> > >
>> >> > > The previous TPC-DS metastore docker images have been published at 
>> >> > > https://hub.docker.com/r/zabetak/postgres-tpcds-metastore. Stamatis 
>> >> > > suggested to create a repo under https://hub.docker.com/u/apache, 
>> >> > > maybe called "hive-dataset".
>> >> > >
>> >> > > What do you think about this approach?
>> >> > >
>> >> > > Best regards,
>> >> > > Thomas Rebele
>> >> > >
>> >> >

Reply via email to