Hi Alexis/Bharath,

Great to see your interests. If you looking for ideas, some things that
will be very useful are:

1. Removing the map-join hint completely.
   Moving all processing to runtime.
   Currently, bucketed map joins and sort merge joins are completely
driven off hints.
   It would be very helpful to the community, and also clean up the code a
lot.

2. Indexed Joins.
   Something that would be really useful -
   If the basic infrastructure is ready, it can eventually be used to join
tables
   stored outside also (say Hbase).

3. Metastore understanding hierarchy.
   For eg: if a table is partitioned by ds and hr,
   A valid partition on ds does not exist. This is a very common usecase
on many
   applications, and the current work-around is to have signal tables for
ds
   un-necessarily complicating the process.

If you are interested, I would be happy to provide more details.

Thanks,
-namit