The only drawbacks I can think of are

1) As I mentioned, view partitions will not have an associated region, but
I don't think this matters to anyone else.

2) There will be an inconsistency in DESCRIBE FORMATTED, in that for view
partitions it will not list storage data.  This seems inherent in the fact
that view partitions are purely metadata, and it is an improvement on the
null pointer exception that occurred in previous releases.

I created a JIRA to do this and uploaded a patch here

Kevin