whenever you create a partition in hive, it needs to be registered with the
metadata store. So short answer would be partition data is looked from
metadata store instead of  the actual source data.
having a lot of partitions does slow down hive (around 10000+). Normally
have not seen anyone using hourly partitions. You may want to look at
adding daily partition and bucket by hour.

but if you are adding data directly into partition directories then there
is no alternative other than adding partitions to metadata store manually
apart from alter partition.

if you are using hcatalog as metadata store then it does provide an api to
register your partition so you can automate your data loading and
registering both in a single flow.

Others will correct me if I have made any wrong assumption

--
Nitin Pawar