Couple of questions:

1. What about LIKE operator for Hive itself? Will that continue to work
(presumably because there is an alternative path for that).
2. This will nonetheless break other direct consumers of metastore client
api (like HCatalog).

I see your point that we have a buggy implementation, so whats out there is
not safe to use. Question than really is shall we remove this code, thereby
breaking people for whom current buggy implementation is good enough (or
you can say salvage them from breaking in future). Or shall we try to fix
it now?
My take is if there are no users of this anyways, then there is no point
fixing it for non-existing users, but if there are we probably have to. I
will suggest you to send an email to users@hive to ask if there are users
for this.

Thanks,
Ashutosh