Over the past few weeks I have taken several looks over documents in our
wiki.
The page that strikes me as alarmingly poor is the:
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual.html

This page has several critical broken links such as
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-groupby.html
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-transform.html

The language manual used to be in decent shape. At times it had omissions
or was not clear about what version something appeared it, but it was very
usable.

A long time ago I had began and completed moving the wiki documentation
inside the project as xdoc. After completion, several had a problem with
the xdocs approach. The main complaint was the xdoc approach was too
cumbersome. (However we have basically had a 'turn over' and since that
time I am one of the few active committers)

The language manual is in very poor shape at the moment with broken links,
incorrect content, incomplete content, and poor coverage of the actual
languages. IMHO the attempts to crowd-source this documentation has failed.
Having a good concise language manual is critical to the success and
adoption of hive.

I do not believe all of our documentation needs to be in xdoc (as in every
udf, or every input format) but I believe the language manual surely does.

Please review the current wiki and discuss the concept of moving the
language manual to source control, or suggest other options.

Thank you,
Edward