Ed,

If nothing else I'm glad it was interesting enough to generate some
discussion. These sorts of stats are always subjects of a lot of
controversy. I have seen a lot of these sorts of charts float around in
confidential slide decks and I think it's good to have them out in the open
where anyone can critique and correct them.

In this case Ed, you've pointed out a legitimate flaw in my analysis. Doing
the analysis again I found that previously, due to a bug in my scripts,
JIRAs that didn't have Hudson comments in them were not counted (this was
one way it was identifying SVN commit IDs which I have since removed due to
flakiness). Brock's patch was the single largest victim of this bug but not
the only one, there were some from Cloudera, NexR, Hortonworks, Facebook
even 2 from you Ed. The interested can see a full list of exclusions here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArmXd5zzNQm5dDJTMkFtaUk2d0dyU3hnWGJCcUczbXc#gid=0.
I apologize to those under-represented, there wasn't any intent on my part
to minimize anyone's work. The impact in final totals is Cloudera +5.4%,
NexR +0.8%, Facebook -2.7%, Hortonworks -3.3%. I will be updating the blog
later today with relevant corrections.

There is going to be continued interest in seeing charts like these, for
example when Hive 12 is officially done. Sanjay suggested that LoC counts
may not be the best way to represent true contribution. I agree that not
all lines of code are created equal, for example a few monster patches
recently went in re-arranging HCatalog namespaces and I think also
indentation style. This (hopefully) mechanical work is not on the same
footing as adding new query language features. Still it is work and
wouldn't be fair to pretend it didn't happen. If anyone has ideas on better
ways to fairly capture contribution I'm open to suggestions.

--
Carter Shanklin
Director, Product Management

--