The hive dev list generates a lot of traffic. The average for October was 192 messages per day. As a result no one sends hive dev directly to their inbox. They either unsubscribe or they build filters that ship most or all of it to a folder. Chasing people off the dev list is obviously not what we want. Sending messages to folders means missing messages or not seeing them until you get unbusy enough to go read back mail in folders.

The vast majority of this traffic is comments on JIRA tickets. The way I've seen other very active Apache projects manage this is JIRA creates go to the dev list, but all other JIRA operations go to a separate list. Then everyone can see new tickets, and if they are interested they can watch that JIRA. If not, they are not burdened with the email from it.

I propose we do this same thing in Hive.

Alan.
--
Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>

--