I share Colin's reservations about it being a subproject of Accumulo. I
think that is only worth considering because of HTrace's past, but not
necessarily for its future.

I'm hesitant to agree it should be merged into Hadoop Common. Hadoop is
already so big... and personally, I would like to see it split up into a
few projects (not necessarily under different PMC, but certainly with
independent builds, releases, and separate focus areas: YARN and HDFS for
example really should be separate, IMO). If HTrace got merged into Hadoop
Common in Hadoop's current state, I think it would only make it harder for
people to identify where the separation between components is and how to
contribute. As a downstream packager helping maintain Hadoop and HTrace for
Fedora, I already find this amalgamation of all the different components of
Hadoop into a single project a nightmare task; throwing in HTrace to the
mix could make the situation even worse for packagers and other downstream
users of Hadoop and/or HTrace.

There's also a risk that Hadoop's size and level of activity could be
overwhelming, and a deterrent to contributors who just want to help out
with HTrace occasionally.

I also wouldn't want to force a dependency on the larger Hadoop libraries,
to get tracing instrumention from HTrace into one's own non-Hadoop project.
(This could be a problem if HTrace code were shipped in existing Hadoop
Common jars or was tightly coupled with them.)

If, on the other hand, HTrace became the responsibility of the Hadoop PMC
as a subproject, but with its own repo/lists/releases, I think that could
be a very good thing. Hadoop could host a small sub-community of HTrace
without that sub-community being necessarily overwhelmed by the rest of
Hadoop's heavy activity.

I don't know anything about Skywalking, so I don't have anything to add to
that idea.