William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> [...]
This sounds good.  If the static-cache concept survives, I can just apply it
against the new location_walk.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at profile data that explains why I couldn't measure
the speedup: while dir_merge operations are one of the more time-consuming
parts of Apache, they only account for around 1% of the total CPU usage.
As other things get optimized, and the dir_merge functions represent a
bigger percentage of the remaining CPU time, the effect of the pre-merge
may be more noticeable.

--Brian