On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 November 2001 04:35 pm, dean gaudet wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > I am trying to remove the network logic from the MPMs, so that modules
> > > can implement different transport layers.
> >
> > are you referring to multiplexing transport layers?  'cause what's there
> > already should work fine for non-multiplexed transports... i.e. you've got
> > SSL implemented already.
>
> The idea is to allow an MPM to use multiple communication mediums.  For
> example, IBM has the AFPA cache, which doesn't communicate over regular
> sockets.  It uses it's own socket type.  Our SSL implementation encrypts the
> data in memory, and we just write the data to the socket using the standard
> apr network calls.

jeez, that's so stupid.  years ago when IBM asked me for input on the
design they were planning to do it right:  cache misses appear in userland
as sockets.

i'd tell IBM the same thing i told sun:  fix your interface.

note that TUX does it right.

> I hope I answered your question, but I'm not sure that I did.

you might also want to think about webmux.  'cause i think it breaks some
more assumptions you're making (such as 1:1 mapping between client and
kernel network object).

-dean