Jeff Trawick wrote:
Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I don't know how hard it is to decide to commit an obvious API doc
patch. Why does it always have to be reposted several times before it
gets committed?

As has been mentioned many times before on this list, if a patch isn't
committed or commented on, you have to remind us.  There are as many
whys for this requirement as there are httpd committers trying to
juggle multiple responsibilities.

Consider us reminded, but not chastised.  Many of us have been playing
hookey through the holidays and have all manner of todos to catch up
with.
It's understandable. But it doesn't help to make other people want to contribute. The only reason I persist is because I work on mod_perl and mod_perl relies on httpd things, so I *need* things to be fixed (e.g. because we autogenerated docs from httpd header files in this particular case). Others who submit things they have noticed wrong, but don't really require a fix, move on, when their posts/patches are ignored, so the efforts are just getting lost.

You are talking about httpd committers having "multiple responsibilities", but I think you really mean "multiple itches to scratch".

Perhaps the httpd project could benefit from having a pumpkin, similar to what Perl and several other projects have, where in addition to various cool folks scratching their itches at their own pace, there is that one person who has a real responsibility. And who's is responsible for doing it all (the back-bone), including things that others don't find sexy. Since this job requires a lot of time and dedication, a person performs a pumpkin's role only for certain periods of time (usually using release versions as time boundaries).

If that was the case, things (especially simple ones like my patch) won't fall between chairs, leading to more inspiration from users to help.