what does "change the entries in proxy_util.c" mean?

There are some calls to apr_sockaddr_info_get in proxy_util.c, and I wasn't really sure whether they should be looking at this flag or not. In some cases (where we already have an IP address, etc) it is clearly something that they should not do.

<snip>
do things on a per-directory basis).

does anybody else have an opinion here? I'm guessing it isn't necessary, but I don't have a good feel

I think it is probably not necessary to do things on a per-directory basis, either. I can certainly modify the patch to remove the request dependency, but *some* information will need to be passed into the configuration accessor (like the server_rec, etc). Any thoughts?

Again, my motivation for allowing per-directory stuff had more to do with the fact that HostNameLookups does the same thing than anything else. Is anyone using that functionality for HostNameLookups, or is that also overkill?

I would like us to create an interface that allows "IPLookups IPv[46]Only" to be possible with some follow-on enhancements, so
I think this needs to tell the caller two things:

  what family to pass to apr_sockaddr_info_get
  what flags to turn on for apr_sockaddr_info_get

If the conf file says

IPLookups All

returned family is APR_UNSPEC, returned flag is 0

IPLookups IPv4OK

returned family is APR_UNSPEC, returned flag is APR_IPV4_ADDR_OK

IPLookups IPv6OK

returned family is APR_UNSPEC, returned flag is APR_IPV6_ADDR_OK

and after future enhancement

IPLookups IPv4Only

returned family is APR_INET, returned flag is 0

IPLookups IPv6Only

returned family is APR_INET6, returned flag is 0

so no return code, and two apr_int32_t * parameters after request_rec *

I started to implement this, and then I checked the archives and found that it had been discussed previously. Adding IPvxOnly was considered the "optimization of an error path" and therefore unnecessary, but this was a while ago. If there are fresh insights, I would love to hear them. I don't have much of a feel for this particular issue, though the implementation would be trivial.