[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Marc M. Adkins wrote:
>
>>     The ap_hook_handler() call
>> does not specify the handler key from the corresponding AddHandler
>> configuration directive.  As a consequence, the specified handler
>> function
>> must look at and accept or decline each request.
>

> yes, you are right.  IMO that sucks, for a number of reasons:
>
> * the Apache 1.3 core was better about it and only called handlers when
> the request type matched a type the handler was interested in,
>
> * we had to change the module API to accomodate this regression in the
> core, and
>
> * now we have a distributed performance hit in 2.x, because the core is
> calling all these modules who don't care about the request which makes
> the CPU fetch crap instructions into the i-cache.  This won't show up as
> a hot spot in a profiler, because it is spread among all the different
> handlers and other code which is now taking more frequent i-cache misses.
>
> ...but I'll shut up because I don't have a patch or a design for one yet.
>
>> By contrast, output filters only see requests in which they have
>> interest.
>

> Clearly a better situation.

The change in handlers was made for a reason. The problem is, I've
forgotten the reason! A survey of all the existing handlers might well
reveal it - otoh, the reason might simply be that filtering hooks didn't
fit neatly with the new hook API. Which is, of course, fixable, at the
cost of some complication.

Cheers,

Ben.