>> then *what* is the driver for 1.4 over 2.x??

Right now I think it's unknown - but with some reasoned debate I think a
path will emerge.

One other thought - Apache needs an enemy - and I mean this in the nicest
possible terms. Having been on the receiving end of the forums venom before
I know how everybody responds to a threat. With 66% market share and IIS the
only real threat, why does everyone come to work in the morning.

Larry Ellison said it best in "Softwars" - "we pick our enemies very
carefully." I think this is an important point because it gives you focus
and reason for being.

2.x is adrift because there is no threat to it apart from apathy - so what
do you do to get the focus back on Apache? Personally I think the driver for
1.4 over 2.x is 64-bit because that's what people are going to be buying
next.

64-bit offers you three things:

1. Performance  1-4 IPC (instructions per cycle
2. Memory               >4GB RAM
3. Security

Sun, AMD, PowerPC all offer 1 & 2, Itanium offers you 6-8 IPC and some very
sophisticated security capabilities not found in any other chip
architecture. The downside of Itanium is it's perception in the market
place. Intel has done a terrible job of marketing it - however they do have
to protect the Pentium cash cow. This will all change sometime next year
with the btrans software which will give you Xeon performance for x86
programs running under the EPIC architecture.

Regards,

Peter