> This doesn't appear to check that the timestamp is anywhere near now,
> which would prevent same-site replays...

Correct - the trouble with timestap checks is that ?most/some? browsers
will NOT cache the password the user has entered; but the 'response' (i.e.
nonce+realm+password). So if one sets a 5 minute time out on the time
stamp - then users will be prompted for a password every 5 minutes or so.

Setting it to any thing shorter, which from a security perspective would
even make more snese, of course means typing the password for every page
:)

Bear in mind that unlike experimental/mod_auth_digest - most browsers and
mod_digest does not do anything like fancy/decent qop or other counts; and
as far as I understand any re-newing of the nonce requires a full
rejection round trip.

Dw